Saturday, September 02, 2006

Sugar, How I Love Thee, Let Me Count The Ways

Tomorrow, my husband, son, and I are going up to my grandparents to celebrate my dad's 65th birthday. Of course, me being the nice person that I am, offered to bake a birthday cake for my dad. He likes Key Lime Pie right now, so I found a cake recipe that has a butter layer cake with sweet lime curd filling and buttercream frosting. I jazzed the buttercream up and put lime juice and lime zest in it. Well, the cake is all put together and setting up in the fridge.

You might be wondering why I started this post with "sugar, how I love thee, let me count the ways". Let's just say that during the whole process of making the cake some of it landed right into my mouth. Now I'm am currently trying to loose my pre-baby weight, and so far I've lost 15 pounds of it. But who can resist the luscious texture and taste of yummy butter cake batter and buttercream frosting right off the spatula.

Yes, I have a weakness for sweets. If they were in my house 24/7 I would consume them daily. How come things that taste so incredibly are so incredibly bad for you (if you eat them in massive amounts)?

After I put the crumb coat on, I popped a piece of gum in my mouth and chewed on it while I frosted the cake. Funny thing is I still was in the habit of taking a swipe of the creamy frosting with my finger and sticking it in my mouth. Some how minty chewing gum and lime frosting just don't mix.

Fed up with myself and feeling a little guilty, I quickly stuck the mixing bowl in the sink and filled it with soapy water. Ha! That ought to teach me! Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, he he), I must confront my addiction tomorrow at my dad's birthday party.

But it will be alright. I can definitely handle it. I guess wanting to loose 5o more pounds is a bit of a motivator because I want to get back into my size 8 jeans I wore in high school. Slowly but surely the pounds are coming off thanks to Weight Watchers, Curves, and walking my dog, Anakin, and son, the incredible Flying Baby.

I feel like a new supermommy!

-mommaladybug

No comments: